The cupola type C was made from the same steel and mould as the type B cupola (small model or PM) but was simpler.
The C type cupola was installed in blockhouses (hardened field fortifications) of the CEZF line, with protection level 2. The CEZF line was a second line of defence behind the northern part of the Maginot Line. The fortifications of the CEZF line were still incomplete by the time the war started.
|2.17 m||1.78 m||0.25 m||17t|
The type C cupola did not have a movable floor, inner lining, or a ball mount.
It had 3 simple narrow slits, measuring 84 mm in height, and 210 mm in width.
The absence of a ball mount meant that no observation devices, which were available for the cupola type A, could be used.
The observer had to rely on the naked eye or a pair of binoculars.
However, an opening was made in the top of the cupola for a type F1 periscope.
In a later stage, the plan was to upgrade the observation slits to type B ball mounts.
The advantage of this cupola was its simplicity that allowed quick manufacture. Records indicate that by April 23rd 1940, 450 of these cupolas were manufactured of which about a hundred were delivered and installed into blockhouses or casemates, while the rest were on their way to the building sites.
Some examples of this turret can still be seen in the Saar region near the villages of Francaltroff (blockhouse C13) and Hazembourg.